Echo Of Exodus

Mother,
I tell people you're dead
INSTEAD
of telling them the truth.
Because
the
truth
is embarrassing
and it makes me feel like
a soft-shell turtle,
vulnerable to hard hits
when people ask
why dad
is living all alone.

"75 year old widow" I reply.

I'm greeted
with soothing sighs
and the shaking of sad heads.
Sometimes a shoulder hug.

I haven't been pity-fucked yet,
but maybe dad has.

I grin at the thought
of him sitting blind at Red Lobster
netting snatch
and a basket of cheddar biscuits,
while I stay home
writing poetry
about how disgusted God is
over your decision
to give up.. the holy ghost.

Mother,
I hope He's merciful.

Neighbor Ed said
I need to forgive you, and he's right.
The hinge swings
hard in both directions,
and I will eventually learn
how to accept the echo
of your exodus.

But for now,
this poem is my mountain
for you to climb.

Comments